According to a research study by The Schapiro Group, Inc. and Market Street Services, when consumers know that a small business is a member of their local chamber of commerce, they are 44 percent more likely to think favorably of it and 63 percent more likely to purchase goods or services from the company in the future.
If you still don’t think you have time to join and participate in your local chamber of commerce, consider the following:
- Most consumers (59 percent) think that being active in the local chamber of commerce is an effective business strategy overall. It’s 29 percent more effective, however, for communicating to consumers that a company uses good business practices and 26 percent more effective for communicating that a business is reputable.
- When consumers know that a restaurant franchise is a member of the chamber of commerce, they are 40 percent more likely to eat at the franchise in the next few months.
- When consumers know that an insurance company is a member of the chamber of commerce, they are 43 percent more likely to consider buying insurance from it.
Other reasons to join:
- Aligning your company’s values with the values of a community-building organization. There is a reason the San Angelo Chamber has thrived for over 100 years. Its members built San Angelo, and the Chamber continues to represent the positive businesses in the community. Be part of that group.
- Make business contacts. The Chamber’s most fundamental mission is to generate more business activity for the community. The Chamber initiates more business-to-business commerce and more opportunities for networking and connecting local professionals than is available through most other local organizations.
- Increase your visibility in the community. As a new member of the Chamber of Commerce, you will be listed in the Chamber e-newsletter, on Facebook and have the opportunity to be highlighted in other Chamber publications. You also can grow your business by advertising with the Chamber and sponsoring events. The Chamber helps arrange and promote your grand opening/ribbon cutting ceremony and assists with public relations ideas and efforts.
- Create networking opportunities. Serving on a Chamber committee provides a platform to demonstrate your trustworthiness and follow through. Networking events offer many venues to learn more about other businesses, how to meet their needs and possibly earn their business.